[MSCW list] Mazda3 security light Blinking - A Problem?

Bill Bien wrbien
Sun Dec 1 18:26:31 CET 2013

Here's what the 2008 Mazda3 owner's manual says about the security light:

"Security Indicator Light

This indicator light starts flashing every 2 seconds when the ignition
switch is turned from the ON to the ACC position and the immobilizer system
is armed.  The light stops flashing when the ignition switch is turned to
the ON position with the correct ignition key.  At this time, the
immobilizer system is disarmed and the light illuminates for about 3
seconds and then goes out.  If the engine doesn't start with the correct
ignition key, and the security indicator light keeps illuminating or
flashing, the system may have a malfunction. Consult an Authorized Mazda
Dealer."

My daughter now has my 2008 Mazda3i, but recollection is that the light
does go out once you remove the key but I don't remember how long it
takes.  I can check it out the next time I go over there if you'd like.

Bill Bien