[MSCW list] NA Airbag Replacement

Jack McCombs jmccombs3
Wed Jan 6 22:27:58 CET 2016

Time to follow through with my New Year's Resolutions, or at least one of them, anyway.   I had promised to let everyone know the outcome of the NA defective airbag control module saga.  Well the bottom line is that it took a couple of tries, but Christian at PBC was able to come up with a working module for our NA ('90).  It wasn't easy - it took three different modules before we found one that worked.  However, I've been driving the car periodically for a week + now, and the airbag light in the panel is behaving normally, I.e., illuminating for about 6 seconds immediately following startup, then going out and remaining out for the remainder of the engine run.

So, it is possible to find working airbag control modules for NA Miatas, but it ain't easy any more.  And at least here in VA, the unit has to be functioning properly to pass the annual state inspection (for a car in standard license).  Next time it fails (and I'm sure it will), I'll likely just relicense the car as an antique/classic to get around the inspection, and do something to eliminate the resulting continuously on warning light.

--Jack--