[MSCW list] 2021 Special Event Redux - Flight 93 Memorial - once again on June 5th!

Timothy Metzinger tim.metzinger at outlook.com
Mon May 10 00:42:37 CEST 2021

The event on May 8th was great, even with the cold, so I figured I'd do it one more time and give folks who missed it on the 8th (like my daughter) a chance.   Kenny, if you want to go again and take another child this time, you're welcome!

The Drive: We will duplicate the May 8th trip to the Flight 93 Memorial, and we will depart the Frederick Keys stadium (Harry Grove Field)in Frederick, MD at 9:00 AM on June 5th. We'll head north on US15 to Emmitsburg, Maryland, then head west on the Buchanan Trail to join US30 westbound. We'll stop at the two-hour mark in Breezewood PA for a quick break, then get back on US30W to Bedford, PA, for lunch at the Jean Bonnet Tavern arund  noon. We'll depart the Tavern around 1:15 PM and arrive at the Flight 93 Memorial in about thirty minutes at 1:45.
We'll check out the Tower of Voices, the Visitor Center/Exhibits, and the Memorial Plaza close to the Crash Site. Information on the memorial is at https://www.nps.gov/flni/index.htm.
When we depart the Memorial, we'll join US219 south, and take it to Grantsville Maryland, where the ride will officially "end" at a gas station next to Interstate 68.  We'll then all get on 68 Eastbound, and make our own way home.  Folks that want to follow me back to Northern Virginia can join my daughter and I for a late dinner at the Social House.

Dining: The Jean Bonnet Tavern is well rated on Yelp (my secret to finding good food) and you can find more information at https://www.jeanbonnettavern.com/.  We enjoyed the meal very much last time.

Logistics: Start Date/Time: 6/5/2021 at 9:00 AM. Rain date will be 5/15/2021. The signup genius is at https://bit.ly/mscw2021-flight93-redux. The signup is limited to 18 cars for this drive. Please give folks who didn't go in May a chance to sign up, and please do not mark yourself as "going" on Facebook until you have registered on the signup genius. We will have multiple cars with GPS since that has worked very well recently, and we'll have at least six radios to use on the trip. The map list (with links to GPX/KML files) at https://www.midatlanticscenicdrives.com/maps.html There will be one Google Map, one KML file, and one GPX file that will take you from the Start to the End (Gas station in Grantsville near I-68).