[MSCW list] October 2nd - Full STEAM Ahead!

Timothy Metzinger tim.metzinger at outlook.com
Sun Sep 19 23:03:16 CEST 2021

The Strasburg Railroad (East and South of Lancaster, PA) will be having the Norfolk and Western Class J Steam Locomotive (#611) pulling trains on October 2nd.  While they run steam trains daily, the October 2-3 weekend will be the last time they'll have the #611 engine in 2021.  The first class and parlor coaches are already sold out, but there are still seats available on the regular coaches and open-air cars.

I'm planning on a very loose/casual trip up there - this won't be scheduled or planned for a group, except for the drive up in the morning and the return in the afternoon.

I'll lead a group from the Maryland House Travel Plaza on I-95 north of Baltimore for the drive up to Strasburg, PA.  We'll stop for a photo at the Conowingo Fisherman's Park where US1 crosses the Susquehanna River, and then head across the river and on to the Strasburg Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.   We'll leave the Travel Plaza at 9:30 and should get to the Railroad by 11:30 AM.  You don't HAVE to bring a Mazda sports car on this trip - if you need to bring the family, come ahead!  Once we're there, you can board a train for a ride (trains run at 12:30 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:30 PM, and 6:00 PM and the ride is 45 minutes), and you can visit the nearby Pennsylvania Railroad Museum (small fee).  There are some places to eat within a short driving distance as well.   If you want to ride one of the trains, you should purchase your ticket in advance (https://strasburgrailroad.com).

Essentially, everyone is on their own while in Strasburg.  I'm going to ride in Coach on the 12:30 train, and then head for lunch and visit the Rail Museum. At 4:30 PM (after the 3:30 train gets back), I'm going to head home via US30 and US15 to Frederick, MD, and will lead anyone who wants to come with me to our usual parking area at the Harry Grove baseball stadium.   Folks are of course free to head home at any time and use any route they wish.

Folks may remember that this route has a lot in common with the 2019 route to the Coatesville Grand Prix, but it's different enough that I'm confident that there WON'T be a collision this year!

Logistics:
Assembly - We'll assemble at the Maryland House Travel Plaza on I-95 (Mile Marker 82 on I-in MD, north of Baltimore).  We'll assemble in the lot by the main rest area facility.   There is gas, food, and restrooms at the facility.
Departure - We'll leave the Rest Area at 9:30 AM
Time/Distance - 50 miles and 2 hours (with a stop for photos)from the Rest Area to the Railroad/Museum.  About 105 miles and 2.5 hours from the Railroad/Museum back to Frederick, MD if you're following me that way..
Car limits - The limit for this trip is set to 24 cars. As noted earlier, we can have family cars on this trip.
Rain Date:  This is a RAIN OR SHINE event.
Helpful links - The Railroad (https://strasburgrailroad.com/) and the Museum (https://rrmuseumpa.org/)

RSVP via signup genius at https://bit.ly/mscw2021-se-3.
Visit www.midatlanticscenicdrives.com<http://www.midatlanticscenicdrives.com> for maps and GPS files.

Timothy Metzinger