[MSCW list] MSCW Digest, Vol 88, Issue 7

Ronald Pattison ronpattison at mac.com
Sun Oct 8 15:12:38 CEST 2023

Hi Benita,

I second the opinion about using Mobil-One High Mileage.  In my personal experience, I switched to Castrol Syn-blend High Mileage (even though at the time my NA had about 35k miles on it, the car was 17 years old) because I had the “blue smoke at startup” issue.  The problem was dry valve seals, and the high-mileage oils have the same or equivalent additive that BG products have to nourish the seals.  Within about 1000 miles, the problem was gone and never returned.  Syn-blend is a good way to save a little money, because it’s the additives that really matter.  Full-synthetic is excellent at temperature extremes, but NA engines are not particularly hot-running, and it rarely goes below zero F here.  Remember to continue to use the same weight as recommended by Mazda (I think 10W-30).

Ron