[MSCW list] FYI - I'm going to try the Back of the Dragon on October 22.

Timothy Metzinger tim.metzinger at outlook.com
Tue Oct 10 03:20:38 CEST 2023

I've done the Tail of the Dragon in 2013, and I did The Snake on the way home from that trip.  But while I've heard about the Back of the Dragon (VA16 between Marion, VA and Tazewell VA), I've never driven it.

But I'm gonna head down there on Sunday the 22nd.  It's a LONG drive - about 250 miles one-way from the Linden Park and Ride (I-66W Exit 13).  I'm planning on leaving Linden around 7 AM, taking I-66W and I-81S to Marion, and having a light lunch there before driving the tail of the dragon (forty minutes).  Then I'll head back via secondary roads and the Blue Ridge Parkway to Waynesboro, where I'll have dinner and head over to join I-81 in Staunton, VA.

This isn't a formal drive - there's no signup or anything.  And since we'll be driving for ten hours for the fun of a 20 mile section of curves - don't come along unless you've got the time and you really want to try the road at speed (this is a "go-fast" road).   Just send me a private email - (tim.metzinger at outlook.com<mailto:tim.metzinger at outlook.com>) if you want to come along.   We WILL be taking a long weekend club trip in the Spring of 2024 to Roanoke, VA, and the Back of the Dragon will be an optional part of that trip (since it's only an hour or so from Roanoke).

Timothy (Tim) Metzinger
Tim.metzinger at outlook.com
703.963.3015