[MSCW list] MSCW 2023 Destination Drive #10 - A Longwood Christmas

Timothy Metzinger tim.metzinger at outlook.com
Wed Nov 29 19:31:22 CET 2023

Our Christmas trip this year will take us to the Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA on December 14th. This is NOT a topless cruise - if the weather is poor (or we have too many people) we may not even drive our sports cars!  You'll need to buy tickets early at the Longwood Gardens Website (https://tickets.longwoodgardens.org/), making sure you select an 8:00 or 8:30 PM entrance on 12/14/2023.  That should be dark enough to enjoy the lighting. Do not sign up until you've purchased your Longwood tickets! Choose only one of the slots, depending on if you're having dinner or if you're going to meet us at the gardens at 8:00 PM.  The Signup will CLOSE on 12/10/2023.

We'll leave from the Maryland House Travel Plaza Area on I-95 North of Baltimore near Aberdeen, (we'll park on the north side of the plaza near the gas station).  We'll head north on I95 to exit 85 for MD22, and then head west on MD22 and make our way to MD161 until we join US1 northbound across the Susquehannah and into Pennsylvania.   We will stop for dinner at the La Verona Restaurant, then head up to the Gardens on US1.

Dress warmly (coats/hats/gloves recommended) as we'll be outside for a while.  This is NOT a "drive-through" exhibition.  The gardens DO have public restrooms.

When we are done with the gardens, people can find their own way home.   I'll be taking I-95 and a tunnel or maybe the Key Bridge home (since the bridge may give a good view of Baltimore).

Logistics:
Assembly - Meet at the Maryland House Travel Plaza on I-95 at 3:30 PM on 12/14/2023.  We'll assemble on the NORTH side of the travel plaza, near the Sunoco station.
Departure - We'll leave the travel plaza on I-95N at 4:00 PM and head to La Verona.
Time/Distance - About 50 miles to the gardens.   With 120 minutes for a meal, we'll get to the Gardens around 7:45 PM.  Our tickets will be valid from 8:00-8:30, so we'll have a cushion.
Food - We'll eat at La Verona in Kennett Square (https://laveronapa.com/).  I've made a reservation for 5:30 PM.
Fees/Tickets - Be SURE to buy your tickets in advance at the website shown above, as they may sell out for December weekends.  These tickets ARE non-refundable.
People limits - This trip we pay attention to the number of people.  I'll booking the restaurant for 20 people, so that's our maximum.  If you don't want to eat dinner but want to meet us at Longwood, that's fine too!
Weather - If the weather isn't friendly to our cars, it's fine to take other cars - this trip is more about the fellowship than the cars.
Technology - I will bring eight extra Midland GMRS radios.  If you want to bring your own GMRS radio, we will be using Channel 30 on Midland Radios, or 462.7000 MHz frequency (GMRS Channel 21) and CTCSS 17 for the privacy code.  In Glympse, we'll use the !mscw_cruise tag to keep track of each other.
RSVP via signup genius at https://bit.ly/mscw2023-dd-10.  Don't use Facebook to indicate you're going. Visit www.midatlanticscenicdrives.com<http://www.midatlanticscenicdrives.com> for maps and GPS files.